Sunday, March 28, 2010

A question for people reading "Superman/Batman"*

Why is Joe Casey writing a follow-up to Our Worlds At War, a crossover that happened nine years ago?

Don't get me wrong, I own every tie-in issue to the original crossover. I could justify it by saying that I was already reading most of the titles anyway, and that it got me to start regularly reading Supergirl, Impulse, and Young Justice again, or that the tie-in issues of Superboy were actually really good, but basically it was a crossover that spun out of the Superman titles, and so my compulsion kicked in.

But regardless of whether or not people who obsessively bought everything related to the Superman titles bought it, it wasn't a very good story overall, and I don't think it was particularly well-received or well-remembered. So why revisit it now?

There's a part of me that would be tempted to buy this, but there's also the Joe Casey factor; around the same time, Casey was writing some of the worst Superman comics I've ever read. So the one-two-three punch of a guy whose Superman run was (in my mind) legendarily awful writing an unnecessary follow-up to an at-best mediocre decade-old crossover doesn't have me chomping at the bit to set down the money for it.

But it does have me morbidly curious, and I know there were some people who regularly read "Superman/Batman" not too long ago, so I'm curious what the heck is going on there.

Anyone?



*Assuming, of course, that there are any.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To answer your question, he's actually not. In recent interviews Casey revealed his cuurent tale could have taken place after any big superhero event and he had no idea dc was calling it a our worlds at war tie-in till after the issue came out!! If you Read it owaw is not even referenced.