Thursday, June 23, 2011

Come September

You've probably already seen my thoughts on the DC relaunch over at Nerdy Nothings, but I thought I'd do a little wrap-up, to see just how much things are likely to change for me in September, based on the solicitations as they stand and my current pull list. So first, I made a quick list of all the main DCU titles that I've been consistently buying. I included a few books that have recently ended and omitted miniseries, Vertigo, and Johnny DC titles. Here's the current list:

  1. Action Comics
  2. Batman, Inc.
  3. Birds of Prey
  4. Booster Gold
  5. Detective Comics
  6. Doom Patrol
  7. Flash
  8. Freedom Fighters
  9. Green Lantern
  10. Green Lantern Corps
  11. Justice League: Generation Lost
  12. Power Girl
  13. Secret Six
  14. Superboy
  15. Supergirl
  16. Superman
  17. Wonder Woman
  18. Zatanna

Eighteen regular titles. Now, here's what things will look like in September. New titles in bold, "Batman, Inc." omitted due to hiatus:
  1. Action Comics
  2. All-Star Western
  3. Animal Man
  4. Batgirl
  5. Batman
  6. Batman & Robin
  7. Batwing
  8. Batwoman
  9. Birds of Prey
  10. Blue Beetle
  11. DC Universe Presents
  12. Demon Knights
  13. Flash
  14. Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
  15. The Fury of Firestorm
  16. Green Lantern
  17. Green Lantern Corps
  18. Green Lantern: The New Guardians
  19. Grifter
  20. Justice League
  21. Justice League International
  22. Legion Lost
  23. Legion of Superheroes
  24. Mister Terrific
  25. Resurrection Man
  26. Sgt. Rock & the Men of War
  27. Superboy
  28. Supergirl
  29. Superman
  30. Swamp Thing
  31. Voodoo
  32. Wonder Woman
From 18 titles up to 31. If DC's goal was to get me to buy more comics, they definitely succeeded. Some of this is lateral motion; "Justice League: Generation Lost" becomes "Justice League International," "Batman" replaces "Detective Comics." "Doom Patrol" and "Freedom Fighters" have already been cancelled; "Secret Six," "Zatanna," "Booster Gold," and "Power Girl" are being left in the pre-relaunch DCU. "DC Universe Presents" is going to replace "Superman/Batman" as "the anthology-style book that I'll buy whenever the creative team or spotlight character appeals to me."

And there are some books that are very much not new to the pull list; I bought "Blue Beetle" and "Firestorm" in their last incarnations, and I've bought "Jonah Hex" (giving way to "All-Star Western"), "Batman & Robin," and "Legion of Superheroes" at various times in the past; the latter are both fairly recent drops from my pile, as is the second Legion title, "Adventure Comics."

A good number of these are provisional; this list assumes that I'm wowed by every single book I pull in September. "Batwing," "Grifter," "Voodoo," "Firestorm," "New Guardians," "Batgirl," "Birds of Prey," "Sgt. Rock," "Mr. Terrific," "Batman & Robin," "Flash," and surprisingly "Superboy," and "Supergirl," are all on the cusp, judging by solicits and past history. If this relaunch goes really poorly, I could be back to eighteen or fewer titles come October. I don't anticipate that, and it's entirely possible that some book not on the list (like "I, Vampire," "Static Shock," "Suicide Squad," or "Teen Titans") might drum up enough buzz that I'll pick it up the following week.

Overall, I'm generally pretty excited. I think reboots are generally a bad idea, but if we must have them, then I'm at least glad to have so many options and so many choices. I just hope that the next few months provide new solicits for new titles featuring new creators, above and beyond the relatively few that are mentioned here.

No comments: